> At 06:19 PM 2/24/2003 -0500, Deb Messling wrote about "Woodstock:"
>> So many writers trot out the "voice of her generation" cliche and
>> cite Woodstock as some sort of hippie anthem
>
> To me, the song always was and always will be a hippie anthem. :-)
> If some want to label it "the voice of a generation" I think it's a
> compliment to
> the songwriter for capturing the emotion of an entire generation.
>

>> She DREAMED she saw the bombers turning into butterflies, but
dreams
>> aren't reality.  She says we've GOT to get ourselves back to the
>> garden;
>> she doesn't say we're already there.
>
> Isn't that the point? The reality in 1969 was bombers strafing
> southeast Asia, the dream was and still is to take this flying
> machine of destruction and turn it into something more peaceful and
> beautiful, like a butterfly. She's *hoping* society will find the
> garden, or some semblance of a garden. Few would have argued then
> that we were "already there" in the garden...the
> *dream* was for everyone to get there...and that is why the song is
> an anthem.

I agree that the song is an anthem both in Joni's original version and
in the Travelogue version.

The Ladies of the Canyon version makes me think of a pagan priestess
singing an invocation, the beginning of some sacred ritual.  It is
sung with reverence and a certain amount of awe.  The voice soars into
the stratosphere, reaching toward the heavens.  It recalls a recent
event, a gathering of the tribes.  But in spite of the fact that it
recalls a communal event, to me it has the sound of a single soul
expressing the exaltation and hope brought on by that event, not the
'voice of a generation.'

On Travelogue she doesn't have that instrument that can reach those
heights anymore.  So she takes a different route and gives the song a
weight and profundity that it couldn't have had in the original.  More
than 30 years have passed since the song and the event that inspired
it.  Altamont, Kent State, Watergate, the Gulf War, Chernobyl,
Exxon-Valdez, the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the fall of the
Berlin Wall, 9-11 - all of these things and more have come to pass in
the intervening years and have perhaps changed the way we view what
was for many, the defining moment of a generation.  Woodstock, the
event is now history and the stuff of legend.  Joni's latest
incarnation of the song, Woodstock achieves anthemic status in a
different way.  It is now hindsight, nostalgic and colored with the
tint of myth.  It has become a slow and stately march, more about the
half a million than the solitary child of God who finally, but only
for a fleeting few days, found that place of song, celebration and
naive innocence.

Annie Ross once said that Lady in Satin was her favorite Billie
Holiday record "because there's a whole life in that voice."  I think
the same can be said for Joni's singing on Travelogue.  Billie died
when she was in her 40s.  Although it could be argued that she had
more life experience in that time than a lot of people have in 80
years, I don't think that lessens the fact that Joni has lived nearly
60 years and that there is perhaps even more of a life in Joni's
voice.  The voice gives new insight into Woodstock, a perhaps sadder,
but wiser recollection of the event.  This latest version is different
from the original but no less anthemic.

The more I listen to Travelogue, the more I hear in the voice that has
a whole life in it.  Some of the arrangements that didn't seem to work
for me at first make more & more sense to me the more I listen.
Although some of them are truly stunning and really do enhance the
songs, I think some of them merely serve the purpose of providing an
interesting but unobtrusive backdrop to that voice.  And that voice
with the whole life in it has new insights to bring to these songs,
even though it was in better shape when it sang them the first time.

Mark in Seattle