When Joni sang the song at "A Day in the Garden" she introduced the song
with a very moving speech  " My  generation was given a pocket of liberty
like no other generation before", I think she pretty much felt it to be an
anthem of the times, but if you listen to the CD she goes on to pretty much
say it was short lived. But the song has a lasting value of explaining who we
are, where we come from and where we should  be heading!  It certily has
worked well with all my medications over the years, and to think a young
unambitious girl wrote such an insightful song without even attending the
main event.  Being there and hearing her talk about the song is one historic
event in my book. The live recording is one of the best live perfomances I've
ever heard, hot stickey day, fingers sticking to the strings, and no mistakes.
I love Joni and no other singer/songwriter will ever take me where she has
everyday for 35 years, and I never tire of anything she does.
   Meeting her was a great honor, the biggest of my life, and she was so kind
though-out the entire weekend at the Mendal opening. She was very engaging,
always looked you straight in the eyes and was full of questions back at me.
She grabbed me and gave me a kiss on the cheek, I didn't grab her.  She will
always be "Number One' for me.

Peace to all!
Mingus