11% of all those who voted Republican in that particular election is actually a
significant portion, especially if that segment is well-organized and has a
sophisticated lobby.  Furthermore, its influence on Republican party politics in the
past 25 years can't be measured in numbers alone.

I would NOT guess that 11% of those who voted Democratic are religious
fundamentalists. What do I base this on?  What I have heard, seen and read on talk
radio, including Christian radio stations, and in conservative press.  More to the
point, for those who believe that the Bible is the inspired, literal word of God, I
would imagine that there is simply too much in the Democratic party platform that
contravenes that word, and that worldview.  (Actually, I view  much of what's taken to
be "literal" to be quite interpretive, but that's a whole 'nother discussion).

There *are* evangelical Protestant groups like Sojourners in Washington, DC who tend
toward the left, not the right. That's why I took care to include the caveat in my
initial post:  that, and contact with various individuals. However, in my experience,
they are the exception, rather than being anywhere close to the rule.

Should I move the thread, anyone??  Really, I will!!  ;-)

Take care,

Mary P.