Mary wrote:

> If you mean Roman Catholics, they are explicitly contravening certain
> official teachings of their church in voting Democratic, at least in many
> instances.   I imagine that the same could be said, to a lesser extent, of
> Orthodox Jews.  They're going against the grain.  That's not my definition
> of a "fundamentalist."

There are huge numbers of people of these religions who vote Democratic.  I
think they do hold to their fundamentalist beliefs privately even though
they may vote for some whose platform does not always coincide precisely
with those beliefs.

> I believe that when most people speak of "fundamentalist Christians," they
> do indeed mean evangelical Protestants.  If you'd like to broaden the
> definition of "fundamentalist" to include members of any religion who hew
> either a literal interpretation of a text or certain very basic (or
> "fundamental") teachings, fine.   My guess, however, is that that's not
what
> most people think of when they use that term in the United States.

That's interesting to me, because I know a number of people who indeed have
fundamentalist beliefs, i.e. funadamentalist protestants who believe in
strict biblical interpretation and are very devoted to the particular
teachings of their faith which are not at all "liberal", who continue to
vote Democratic.  Just as the Republican party is made up of a myriad of
people, so is the Democratic.  I guess my point is that people are complex
and often vote the way they do for any number of  reasons outside any
procribed party line of the moment.  It seems like the perception is that
the "hawk right wing Christian fundamentalists" have some major power.  I
just don't perceive it that way.  Again, I think that it depends on what
part of the country one if from.  I always looked at the Robertson/Falwell
types as a small group out of small section of the South, who did gain some
vocality because they raised money for their TV empires and therefore had a
microphone, but who,  in reality, are still a regional anomaly in the
overall demographic of the US.

Kakki