Azeem wrote:

For the first time, I stayed up to watch the whole thing

I tried but couldn't get past 5 minutes.  With all deference to Vince, and
must admit being happy for him when I heard the news, I don't share positive
feelings for Eminem or his music.  Conversation with Tod concerning it:

mack-you won't believe this, Eminem actually won an oscar.
tod-when were they on?
mack-last night.
tod-great.
mack-you must be kidding.
tod-you have your taste, i have mine.
tod-joni mitchell never won an oscar.

nuff said.

- pair of hands" rather than something really outstanding (I am
thinking, for
> example, of Ordinary People winning over Raging Bull

In my opinion, Ordinary People was truly deserving while Raging Bull was
nothing more than another one of those movies, one in a long line of  Robert
DeNiro playing the same part, again and again and again.  I used to enjoy
these awards shows but like someone else wrote last year, never again.
Subjective popularity contests that invariably remind me of those
cheerleading contests from my school days when the popular girl would always
win over the seemingly unattractive girl with a few pimples.  Great for the
winner but not so for the rest and even though they have removed the word
winner, to be more politically correct, that is what it means and all know
it.

mack