<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Am I the only one glad that Randy Newman won the Best Song category in
>today's Oscars? His win (after 16 nominations) was given a standing
>ovation. Unlike what one friend told me that he was given the award because
>of his nth time nomination, I think his songs are just unassuming and not
>really the bravura ones that get noticed every year (remember Aimee Mann's
>"Save Me" from MAGNOLIA).

No, you're not the only one. I was very glad for him, although I think he's
written better songs, even some that were nominated in years past but didn't
win. When Randy's good he's very good.

But I thought Sting's song was best, and Paul's was not, although the great
flautist Jim Walker on penny whistle was cool.

-Fred