Aww, now.  Things have been worse.  Remember the period after Sly and the
Family Stone and before Springsteen?  A little musical nightmare I like to
call "disco"?  Not only did it feature the Brothers Gibb but the most
repititious hi-hat riff ever foisted upon an ENTIRE DECADE!  Don't get me
started.  I hope the youngsters take a moment to thank the old hippies for
the radio format of the singer-songwriter, called "triple-A".  It's a major
feature in my life.

Today I'll give thanks for David Gray, Alanis, Dave Matthews, & Bryan
Thomas.  I'll close with a quote from another young upstart, Kasey Chambers
of Australia.  Her dad gave her wonderful debut, "The Captain" a guitar
sound straight out of Austin, Texas.  You could put any of these cuts right
next to Ronstadt's "Don't Cry Now" album.  If the Eagles had cut an early
album in a week, in someone's garage, it would be "The Captain".  This
album's been through the giant Riff-O-Matic Of Life.  If you don't bob your
head, hanging onto time, anticipating the next riff, well, you just don't
like garage rock with a hint of twang, that's all.

Kasey said,

"I never lived through the Great Depression
 sometimes I *FEEL* as though I did.

 And I don't have answers to every single question;
 that's alright 'cause I'm just a kid.

 I'm not much like my generation.
 Their music only hurts my ears.
 An' I don't hide my pain to save my reputation;
 it's too hard to keep up with these years."

song: CRY LIKE A BABY

Look at the next-to-last line.  That's a mouthful.  Yum.  Kasey has a place
in the ol' Covington bunk-house anytime.

Lama

Andrew said, in part>>>>>>
And I've often asked myself why my generation of artists (age 25 or so)
seems more concerned about image, vanity and being famous than saying
anything really relevant. I like Rufus Wainright. Alanis has some
interesting things to say - just wish she'd say it better. But of the guys
and dolls my age, who happen to be on the music scene and on a platform of
fame and fortune, are shiny, plastic people with vacuous brain cavities.