>>They were obviously expressing what they thought about his film and his
other
work, his ART. His past behaviour with the 13 yr. girl CANNOT and should
never be excused,
but it has been said by quite a few on the list already, ART is one thing,
the
person is the other.<<

true in theory, though if he had served his time he would not have been
making movies or making a living (unless they allow that in prison)- so to
applaud his work is to me, in part, IS excusing not only what he did but
that he also ran from sentencing...if he'd paid his dues by going to prison
& then made his movies that would be an entirely different situation...

i'm with kakki, it disgusts me that people can applaud, defend or excuse him
with what appears to be no thought to the above irony...

that fact that some are still saying that he used bad judgement or that they
can't judge because they weren't there are overlooking the fact that he was
CONVICTED OF A CRIME & RAN FROM HIS SENTENCING...& it just blows my mind
that some can dismiss this so easily...what it says to me is that if you are
talented & famous you don't have to live by the rules the rest of us do...i
know it works that way in court (whoever can afford the best lawyer wins)
but the fact that it works in the court of public opinion is really
disturbing...

i didn't see the oscars so i can't gauge the audience response but it was my
impression that part of that standing ovation was for the art & part of it
was kudos to the man who has been so-called 'exiled'

                          ()()
                          (oo)
            *********oOO**(..)**************
            *        Kate Bennett          *