I agree that Roman Polanski may provoke different reactions from people,
but his films stand alone not only as finely calibrated homages to human
condition, but how those conditions are brought to the screen in ways
other filmmakers have not done before.

Having said that, I join the chorus of approval for his movie REPULSION.
And I always loved CHINATOWN. The last scene with Faye Dunaway's putting
on make up even if a part of her body will no longer be as it was before,
is brilliant. But I wonder if some of us watched his underrated DEATH AND
THE MAIDEN with Sigourney Weaver as Paulina. More than a depiction of
Stockholm Syndrome and how we never really recover from a hideous past,
the film was sublime, with Ben Kingsley and Richard Dreyfuss. I was told
Glenn Close was beyond words in the Broadway play, but any other fan of
cinema should go and watch DEATH AND A MAIDEN.

Joseph in Manila
np: The Great Jazz Trio - What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?