--- colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >

> Mytake on compssion has nothing much to do with
> udnrstanding what people
> do-the why's and wherefore's-it just has to do with
> feeling comapssion
> for people who do terrible things-there but for the
> grace of God go i
> type of feeling.

To me, it's pretty much the same thing. First I try to
understand why someone might have done something
terrible. I can sometimes understand that, if I had
been pushed a bit harder, I could have ended up doing
something pretty terrible. (In some cases, maybe I
should have!) If I can't figure it out, I come to the
conclusion they're "just nuts" (one of my mother's
favourite expressions for people who did things that
she thought were crazy, often things that weren't
terrible at all, but just out of line with the way she
thought things should be)and they can't help it.
Sometimes I can figure it out, but they're still "just
nuts". Either way, there but for fortune go you and I.

=====
Catherine
Toronto