debra > It's not surprising to me that there's such resistance there. I
can't imagine it's all because of loyalty to Saddam. People are protecting
their homeland.<

i can't watch much of this war on tv but catch a little bit each day- i
don't remember the journalist i saw but he spoke of hearing these sentiments
from people he'd spoken to- that they felt it was important to defend their
land, but they were not in support of saddam...this is something that often
gets underestimated or overlooked by those with the big guns...it scares me
to hear how they are saying it is not as easy as they thought it would be-
i'm sure for anyone who remembers vietnam this brings up horrible deja vu

>>And I can't pass the battlefields in Virginia without thinking of how
many men suffered and died there. Those huge green fields are so bloody.>>

when we were kids, my parents took us around to all those forts &
battlefields around the east coast, thinking this was some wonderful history
lesson...i hated those trips & always felt some low level of nausea but
didn't quite know why consciously...