On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Attila Szász wrote:

Well, you have definitely noticed that I experimented with user input as I
tried to not impose a strict order of selections. The orthogonalizer tool
hint is definitely worth a good consideration as I am not keen to propagate
unusual user interaction: the closer to the JOSM standard the easier for
everyone I reckon.

Ah. No. JOSM standard is not really good. I like the idea of your optical interface. This would probably be helpful for core functions as well.

Currently JOSM core has many functions nobody uses as they are hidden very well. So don't try to orient on JOSM too much. Orient on good user interface and design. JOSM will and should change when possible. Thought JOSM wont change totally, so a little bit orientation is not bad.

As you mention GIMP: what tool would do you recommend for proper icon
designing? I used Inkscape to design mine - which is btw a very good
vectorial graphics tool - but I found it quite difficult to render good
quality 24x24 icons from the original ones. Probably there are good methods
in there but I don't know them. :)

Use Inkscape for design, rendering large images and doing the small image using gimp? This gives you advantage of both worlds.

Ciao