On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Dirk Stöcker wrote:

 As you mention GIMP: what tool would do you recommend for proper icon
 designing? I used Inkscape to design mine - which is btw a very good
 vectorial graphics tool - but I found it quite difficult to render good
 quality 24x24 icons from the original ones. Probably there are good
 methods
 in there but I don't know them. :)

Use Inkscape for design, rendering large images and doing the small image using gimp? This gives you advantage of both worlds.

After reading that again I thing it can be misunderstood. So explain it better: I first render a larger PNG version using inkscape and use this in gimp to create the smaller version. gimp is much better in scaling large stuff to smaller versions than inkscape is. Sometimes you nevertheless need to adapt the original SVG previously (i.e. remove parts, change width/colors, ...), so the results are as wanted.

But on the other hand I'm not very good at designing the initial image, so probably others can explain better what tools they use.

BTW: JOSM misses still a lot of images (e.g. for presets). This is also a field where help is welcome.

Ciao