On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:

Another issue where I get warnings are "overlapping areas" (which is
not using a multipolygon for adjacent areas, so their ways are partly
overlapping). Personally I ignore them but I know of quite some
situations where other mappers disconnected areas because of this
(also pedestrian areas mapped as squares which connected to a road). I
think that this is not a warning that should be turned on by default,
because validator can't know about the topology, and always using a
multipolygon when 2 areas are touching (to reuse this part of the way)
is overkill.

This is already an informational warning which is not shown by default.

Ciao