On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 04:44:29PM +0100, hbogner wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 10:57 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >To understand the severity of this, take this example: You are new to
> >JOSM. You map a road and tag it highway=road. You hit upload. You get
> >(emphasis by me):
> >
> >Data WITH ERRORS. Upload anyway?
> >+ Warnings
> >   + ILLEGAL tag/value combinations - temporary highway type

> >new mapper the "Your data has errors" message conveys: We don't want
> >your data, please stop what you're doing!
>
> We lost some new OSM mappers because of this.
> Validator was making them angry with its constant warnings, street
> without names, ... and so on, and they stopped mapping.
> So please tune(tune, not turn) the validator down, or write

Just to add my voice to all of this. It is the tone of the messages
that is all wrong with so little explanation. I was thoroughly
confused as a new mapper, and was led to misinterpret the
significance of crossing ways: I thought that the validator must
know more than I did at that stage. It was a long time ago, but
I still find that validator complaining in what seems strong
language for what may be intended or innocuous.

It is, of course, very useful, but the error/warnings need more
explanation.

ael