On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Pieren wrote:

As a plugin maintainer, I would like to see from the JOSM core the
following points:
- reserve some shortcuts for plugins 'forever'. It is unfair to allow
plugins shortcuts and once users have their habits, force them to
change just because core is suddenly using it. Of course, it does not
solve conflicts between plugins but devs can manage that.

No. We now have a shortcut list and we will try to prevent conflicts in the future by proper selecting new shortcuts, but when core needs a key, then plugins will be second in line and have to move.

- allow the plugin to overwrite the core shortcut with a pop-up dialog
explaining the 'why' (and leaving the user to accept or refuse). This
is a way to keep long-term users with their habits and show to new
comers the shortcut issue e.g. with the documentation (after all, it
can be redefined manually later in the prefs).

Also a no for me. If plugin shortcut needs to change the plugin can issue a warning, that from now on the shortcut is different and that users may change it back to their old behaviour themselves.

What you want is the reverse and this means keeping old behaviour for everybody instead of moving into the future. The documentation will always reflect the newest state, so software also should try to keep newest state.

You can call the shortcut preferences from such a dialog, so the user can directly access these prefs from the dialog.

Ciao