Hi!

    Good Discussion!!!!

    I know that many of you strongly disagree when you first hear that
'Hotel California' is inspired by satan and many other popular and musically
good songs are sung by people who does satan worship and other 'black arts'
and these songs can influence you in a negative way. Many of these songs
contains explicit or implicit messages. But those who disagree to these,
please remember that these details are not made up, but its these groups
themselves who expose these details. As far as I know, Don Henley (Eagles)
himself told that he was inspired by some spirit when he started writing
'Hotel California' and he wrote the complete song in one go and he felt that
he was led by the spirit! Many music groups who worship satan does their
rituals before starting their shops.

    Music can influence our heart very easily. I beleive that this inflence
is 'relative' and not 'absolute'. In 19th centuray musical harmony, only
three triads (Major, minor, augmented)  out of the four traids where used.
The fourth triad (diminished) was not used becuase they beleived that its
inspired by satan. Now its very rare to find a song in which a dimished is
not used! Now we hear many people mentioning about some musical peices in
Rex Band's latest album - Roses in Winter - as 'UnChristian!' So it depends
on the person's musical 'knowledge base' (I didn't know the correct word to
the express the idea - I hope you'll understand what I menat by that word!
:))

    I don't know why, (maybe becuase I studied music with a more analytical
view, or maybe becuase I got some sort of musical innoculation)  but my
attitude towards music changed a lot comparing to the times when I started
learning it (around twenty years ago!) Generally very few songs influence me
now.  I definetely know when  some peice of music (with or without lyrics)
is influencing me badly.  I listen to all sort of music. I can listen to
them by totally ignoring the lyrics. I've observed that its not only Rock or
HM, new age or similar stuff, but almost all generes of music can influence
you negatively. I get irritated when I listen to some of the recent A. R.
Rahman songs and I don't like to listen to them!! Many classical peices
which I hear can generate mood swings in me - and I avoid such stuff. But as
a musician I listen to such music with an analytical ear, mainly to take
inputs from it but I can never enjoy it!

    When ever a discussion on bad influence on music in christian context
comes, please mention 'backmasking'. I personally don't think that 'sublimal
messaging' like back masking can influence you more than the 'direct
messaging' we get thru media and cultural exposures! Some people say that
researches show that it has an impact on you but I am not sure about this.
But if it was such a successfull method, it would have been used by almost
all the companies for marketing their products. Now almost all the music
bands have stopped using 'sublimal messaging' becuase they can do 'direct
messaging' very easily and they don't have to hide it like in the 60s or
70s - just becuase its more open and effective!!! But 'sublimal messaging'
becomes a success only when it is revealed! (eg. The Lion King! I didn't
know it till today. )

    How can you decide some material is good or bad when its a boderline
case? Its very difficult to draw the line. We all know that there are many
hoaxes circulating around.

    I am sure that there will be a change in your attitude towards your moms
chicken dish when your learn "* how the chicken is grown and processed *" !!
How can I can compare "not knowing how chicken is grown and processed" and
"not knowing what is Xtasy, offered by the guys partying with you" or "not
knowing all those who wear a cross at all the imaginable parts or their body
are not christians"

    I know that there is evil out there. As a christian, isn't it my duty to
tell my fellow brethren about it? In many cases I can't say that something
is evil, but I can point out that it might be evil - so please beware! Thats
what 'Rock and ruin' and 'Arrow of light' are doing.

    I pray that may the Holy Spirit be your guide.

Rock!
Manoj Jons
Cochin/Kerala

P.S. I plan to compile this JOYNet discussion on music.