FEBRUARY   17TH  2003
Seven Founders of the Order of Servites
Also known as
   Servites; Servant Friars; Confraternity of Our Lady

Profile
   Seven wealthy councilors in Florence, members of the laymen Laudesi (Praisers).
They individually and collectively felt a call to a deeper religious life, and on the
Feast of the Assumption, 1233, they decided to form a new society devoted to prayer
and solitude. This was not an easy move - two were married and two were widowers, so
several of them had dependants for whom to provide. However, they each made provision
for their families, and with the approval of their bishop, they withdrew from the
world 23 days later.

At first they lived just outside the gates of La Camarzia under obedience to the
bishop of Florence. As word of their holiness spread, they attracted would-be
followers, and withdrew to the hills around Monte Sennario where they built a church
and hermitage. They lived in for seven years, spending their time in prayer and
meditation, and turning away all potential followers. In 1240 Cardinal Castiglione
visited; he praised their holiness and devotion, but warned them that their severe
austerities was more life-denying and spiritual. Bishop Ardingo explained a vision he
had had of a vine that blossomed on a cold March day. The cardinal, bishop and the
seven men took this as a sign that they should "branch out", and allow others into
their life.

On Good Friday, 13 April 1240, the hermits received a vision of Our Lady. She held in
her hand the black habit, and a nearby angel bore a scroll reading Servants of Mary
Mary told them, You will found a new order, and you will be my witnesses throughout
the world. This is your name: Servants of Mary. This is your rule: that of Saint
Augustine. And here is your distinctive sign: the black scapular, in memory of my
sufferings. They accepted the wisdom of Our Lady, wrote a Rule based on Saint
Augustine and the Dominican Constitutions, adopted the black habit of an Augustinian
monk, and lived as mendicant friars. The men became known as the Servites, and were
known for meditating on the sorrows of Mary; they fostered the devotion known as the
Seven Sorrows of Mary, a counterpart to the older devotion known as the Seven Joys of
Mary. Six of them were ordained and took new names, they took Saint Peter of Verona as
their spiritual director, and they all went to work with new member!
s. The congregation grew quickly, and soon had groups in Siena, Pistoia, Arezzo,
Carfaggio, and Lucca. They built the church of Santissima Annunziata in Florence in
1250, and their Order is still there today. The Servites were solemnly approved by
Blessed Pope Benedict XI in 1304, and have since spread around the world.

The seven founders were:
   Alexis Falconieri
   Bartholomew degli Amidei
   Benedict dell'Antella
   Buonfiglio Monaldi
   Gherardino Sostegni
   Hugh dei Lippi-Uguccioni
   John Buonagiunta Monetti

Canonized
   1887 by Pope Leo XIII
REFLECTION:

****EACH  OF  OUR   DAYS  IS  MARKED  WITH  THE PROTECTION  OF  MARY,  WHO  IS
EXCEEDINGLY  ANXIOUS   TO  BE  OUR  MOTHER, WHEN  WE  DESIRE  TO  BE  HER
CHILDREN..****..(St.Vincent  de  Paul)

Oh!  sweet  Eucharist  ! &   beloved  Mother     keep  me  as  thy  own.....
S.THOMAS
  NOTTINGHAM
  ENGLAND