Now it doesn't work:

 test/qunit/testrunner.js |  797 --------
 test/qunit/testsuite.css |  120 --
 test/unit/selector.js    |   52 +-
 create mode 100644 .gitmodules
 delete mode 100644 Makefile
 delete mode 100644 libs/jquery.js
 create mode 100644 test/data/testinit.js
 create mode 160000 test/qunit
 delete mode 100644 test/qunit/testrunner.js
 delete mode 100644 test/qunit/testsuite.css
>From git://github.com/jquery/qunit
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Updating f55bf2d..4ac535b
Fast forward
 qunit/qunit.js |    7 +------
error: You have local changes to 'test/jquery.js'; cannot switch
branches.
Unable to checkout '3e97c27d19e18c984a29bfea89fcccadf3544fb3' in
submodule path
'src/sizzle'
make: *** [init] Error 1

Notice the test/jquery.js.  This is on a fresh install.  Am I stupid,
or the only person using windows doing this?