Some info from google:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/gitattributes.html#_checking_out_and_checking_in
http://www.mail-archive.com/msys...@googlegroups.com/msg00093.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/msys...@googlegroups.com/msg00088.html

Looks like this can be solved in the repo itself for everyone using a
.gitattributes file.

Nothing new really, svn has a similar type of configuration. As I
understand, in the svn world the trend is to make sure each individual
developer adds a dozen or so lines to their global auto-props when they
get commit access so that each and every file they create automatically
gets the right props set on each of them individually. And if anyone is
missing the props another commit is needed to fix any files they miss.

;) In the git world, it seams you can add one .gitattributes file with a
bit of short config to affect every file in the repo and affect everyone
who checks out the repo without needing to tell them "Please set these
personal auto-props settings in your personal global config that'll
conflict with other projects you work on that want different settings
than we want or you'll annoy all of us."

Heh, yay git!?

Now that I think about it. Did I set my auto-props right when I setup my
new laptop ages ago? I retired from major MediaWiki development before
then so I don't remember if I set it up right when I decided to checkout
the repo to do some small commits.