> 1) It still confuses properties and attributes, which is its biggest
> problem. Behavior is unpredictable. This is bad.

Do you have any specific examples?

> 2) It looks like new code was added to call the jQuery method if the
> requested attribute is in jQuery.fn. But what about attributes like
> "height" or "wrap"? It won't retrieve the attribute value, but
> instead, runs the height() or wrap() methods!

The wrap one was a mistake (the code in 1.4a1 covered too many
methods) it's since been scaled back. In the case of height, for
example, we definitely do want to get the height value as reported by
.height(), especially since it's likely to be more accurate than
trying to get elem.height.

> 3) The list in jQuery.props is still incomplete

Do you have any specific examples?

> 4) The "special" cases list is still incomplete

Do you have any specific examples?

> 5) It forces values to be strings, so I can't set attributes like attr
> ('onclick',function(){...}) which in theory should work just fine. In
> FF, for example, el.setAttribute('onclick',function(){...}) works as
> expected.

I don't think that's a case that we particularly want to support,
though. In 1.4 you can just do: .attr("click", function(){}) and it
would work (albeit tied into the full event system, which is much
better).

> Referenced is a good, robust review of attribute handling with test
> cases that should probably be in the jQuery test suite:
> http://www.cinsoft.net/attributes.html

I don't see a particular license on those tests - are they available
under an MIT license?

> Any hopes of fixing it up soon?

Specific filed bugs and test cases would certainly accelerate the process.

--John