http://www.dyve.net/jquery/autocomplete.txt

(sorry to be this brief, it's 5:50am here)

On 4/7/07, Shelane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One more thing I forgot to mention.

In this example here, I'm only returning 2 values within the found
data.  There are cases where I might want to pass back 5 different
pieces of info (address, city, state, etc), but maybe only show 1 or 2
of those items for the user to see in the drop down.  Maybe I only
want one of those items to show in the autocomplete box once selected,
but I want to populate other hidden fields with the other pieces of
information (like my example).

On Apr 7, 12:43 pm, "Shelane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I see examples but no actual documentation for this plug-in or the
> orignial from Dylan Verheul.  I would love to get rid of my
> scriptaculous uses of autocomplete, but I have yet to figure out how
> to match what I do there with Dan's or Dylan's plug-in for jQuery.
>
> So my questions for these plug-ins:
> A, what are the minimum function calls to attach to a text field to
> make it an autocomplete;
> B, what is the expected format of the output results.
>
> With my current implementation of scriptaculous, I'm doing this:
>
> <script>
> function getSelectionId(text, li) {
>                 if (li==undefined || li.tagName != 'LI') return;
>                 var name = document.getElementsByClassName("name", li)
> [0].collectTextNodes().strip();
>                 var oun = document.getElementsByClassName("oun", li)
> [0].collectTextNodes().strip();
>                 document.myform.person.value = name;
>                 document.myform.relID.value = oun;}
>
> </script>
>
> <input name="person" type="text" class="Text3" id="person" /><input
> type="hidden" name="relID" />
>         <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" charset="utf-8">
> new Ajax.Autocompleter("person", "container1", "includes/tools/
> people.lasso?list=reps", {paramName: "query", minChars: 2,
> indicator:"indicator2", afterUpdateElement: getSelectionId});
> </script>
>
> The results page returns this for each item found:
> span></li>
>
> Thanks for help :-)
>
> On Apr 5, 9:16 am, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Great. This is very good news. Thanks Dan.
>
> > Rp
>
> > On Apr 5, 10:40 am, "Dan G. Switzer, II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Randy,

> > > It's amazing how quickly you forget stuff--especially when you just modded
> > > someone elses code. :)
>
> > > First, theAutocompleteplug-in uses a keyboard delay before querying the
> > > server. This should avoid AJAX calls for each letter that's pressed
> > > (provided it's configured that way--which it's not by default.)
>
> > > By default, the library expects that if the user types in "Jo" that the
AJAX