I am also frustrated with this issue and have been reading on internet
every bit I can make sense of but still have no clue on how to solve
this, I have problem with Norwegian language.

I am using $.get to get content from database processed by a php file
nsdb.php. This file takes out the html content from database and send
by echo. After I inject this echoed html in my div, I get ? instead of
special characters.

The meta on my page is this
charset=iso-8859-1" />

and the header requesst as I see in firebug is this
Accept-Charset  ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

I just don't understand this
charset issue. May some learned solul throw some light on this issue
in a little detail.

thanks in advance.