http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Typographic_Style
Doesn't say much about it, but that is probably appropriate. :)

Basically it means designing with an invisible grid that everything lines up
to.

Glen

On 6/11/07, Jörn Zaefferer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Glen Lipka wrote:
> Exciting!
>
> Here would be my (humble) suggestions:
>
> 1. Required fields.  As a general rule, you should have a * asterisk
> to the left or right of the input field in a straight vertical line to
> indicate required.  Bold is ok, but it's not quite enough to let the
> user know.
> 2. When the user clicks submit, it puts all these words on the right
> in red.  Its sort of overwhelming.  Highlighting the input field is
> more important than red to the right.  Red to the right makes more
> sense as Inline errors.  Like email or password format.
Gonna work on that, though with a different example.
> 3. It still could use something at the top.  Like "You missed X
> field(s).  They have been highlighted below.  This implies you should
> scroll to the top of the form when submit with this kind of error.
> Think of a long form, where the user clicks submit and missed the very
> first field.  It would be offscreen otherwise.
That is something the error container should be good for.
> 4. When doing it right, the checkbox is a nice touch, but I would make
> it a little more subtle.  Additionally, use Swiss Design techniques.
> This means everything lines up.  So all the checks line up vertically.
I konw the Swiss army knife, but hadn't heard of "Swiss Design". Its
mostly a CSS/layout issue, but nonetheless important.
> 5.  As a general rule, I usually make form fields taller.  Users have
> terrible fine motor skills.  A big box is easier to input.  Check out
> the username and password fields in Wordpress.
> http://www.commadot.com/wp-admin
Yeah, those are hard to miss.
> 6. Onblur of the password field.  it's usually good practice to erase
> the field once you have a mismatch.  It's near impossible to try to
> fix it with the stars there.  Maybe that could be an option in the
> setup?  like errorClearInput: false; or whatever.
I don't like that clearing for other fields, but I agree that its good
for password fields. Thats the behaviour most users should be used to
anyway (eg. OS login, PIN numbers)
> 7. Looking at the setup.  I like the {0} to represent the number, but
> what if the number is 1.  Then it would say, Enter at least 1
> characters.  Singular vs. Plural.  It's a nitpick to be sure, but it's
> good grammar.  if you could say minLength: String.format("Enter at
> least {0} character{"s"}") or whatever...something to say greater than
> 1 gets this otherwise, default.  It's not critical, but its a nice to
> have.
Tricky, but not impossible. I see what I can do about it.

> I recently just launched a form that I tried, but couldn't use the
> validation plugin..
> Check out the form.  I actually have some issues with it, but its ok.
> http://app.marketo.com/signup/signup/code/standard
> <http://app.marketo.com/signup/signup/code/standard>
Gonna take that as the base for the next example to work on.
> Notice the tooltip on the password.  I used hoverIntent.  Cool
> plugin.  That would be a kickass addition to your validator.
> Like have a "hint" declaration which would insert a questionmark with
> hover attached.  And if hoverIntent exists, then it could use that
> instead?
I really have to check how to build a nice tooltip plugin on top of
hoverIntent.
> Anyway, I hope this helps out some.  :)
Thanks again, Glen!

--