In IE6 that seems to be the case, but I discovered that by accident
with a buggy script.  Haven't deliberately tested what happens in
other browsers, I would think that they probably all just return the
first element they find with the correct ID but as the behaviour is
describes as undefined I wouldn't write any scripts that depend on
that.