Ganeshji,

Remember to check the box model before blindly adding the margin
values.   You can use the jQuery.boxModel property to check the
browser's impl.

Mike

On 6/26/07, Ganeshji Marwaha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
no problem brandon, i seems like, i just have to add margin-left and
margin-height properties. its all well, as long as there is some solution...
:)

On 6/26/07, Brandon Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry I thought you where looking for offsetWidth which is what outerWidth
method does.

> --
> Brandon Aaron
>

> On 6/26/07, Ganeshji Marwaha < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > thanks glen... but i don't completely agree, because technically,
according to the box model, width does not include border, padding, margin
etc.
> > But the total box's width, (not the element's width property) accounts
for width+border+padding+margin. This is how a box is seen by the browser
AFAIK.

> > So, it is understandable that jquery's width() method returns the
elements width style alone . But why is dimension's plugin explicitly
intended to give the width+padding+border without including the margin?
maybe because that is what offsetWidth property returns and that is what
outerWidth means probably... no idea. It would be great if someone knew the
answer.

> > Regardless, thank u very much for the calculation suggestion. it works..
i used offsetWidth + margin-left + margin-right and it works like a charm.
Dont know what will happen when percent values are specified though. got to
try that out as well ;)

> > -GTG
> >

> > On 6/26/07, Glen Lipka < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > But margin shouldn't be included in width.
> > > According to box model that is outside the box.
> > >
> > > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/box.html
> > >
> > > Hmm, is there something that computes it all?
> > > http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/box_model/  <-- not
helpful but cool to play with.

> > > You could do it on your own, offset + margin-left + margin-right
> > >

> > > Glen

the margin, the outerWidth returns the result excluding the margin.

Dimensions plugin. The width and height just return the actual width and
height according to the box model.

call to jquery core's width() / height() method, if the call was not for
document or window.

i am facing a problem. When i retrieve the width or height of an element
that has a margin associated with it, then the returned width/height does
not take the margin into account.