"Better choice" is relative.

To me, YUI is unacceptable because I tried 3 times to show/hide a simple
div, and could not for the life of me figure it out.
I also posted to their mailing list and got no response.

However, I know people who love it because its namespacing is very
predictable.  Some people hate the namespacing.

A great way to decide is to take a few of your "real" use-cases.  Try to
implement in both libraries.
Then compare the results.  Was it fun?  Was it quick?  Is it maintainable?
What is the code size?
Have a new person look at them both and ask, "Can you tell what this code is
doing?"
Then try again with a different usecase.

Different libraries have different philosophies about progressive
enhancement, plugins, and coding style.

I think if you run the tests, you will find that Java programmers will like
YUI and everyone else will like jQuery. (Just a guess)

Glen