Tom,

You're confusing ajaxForm and ajaxSubmit.  When you use ajaxForm you do not
need to also use ajaxSubmit.  ajaxForm will wire up the form and invoke
ajaxSubmit for you.  If you set breakpoints you'll notice that your form is
actually being submitted twice.  You can simplify the code to this:

$('#button').ajaxForm({
    url: 'tom_backend.php',
    success: function() {
        alert('Ajax call complete.')

Or if you change the action in your markup to 'tom_backend.php' (instead of
'/gg/tom_backend.php') then you could just do this:

$('#button').ajaxForm(function() {
    alert('Ajax call complete.')
});

Mike