I'll chime in on this topic as well.  The Javascript objects that are
available in CF8 are, as Rey said, simplistic and for people who need
a neat little widget in their application.  I am still heavily reliant
upon ajaxCFC because I use the Ext library with the jQuery adapter.
For advanced AJAX development, the CF8 widgets are too restrictive.