I guess it's not well known that there's a plugin in the wild, Pause,
which does the same thing.  The original is at
http://blog.mythin.net/projects/jquery.php -- you can find that link
at the docs.jquery.com/Plugins wiki.  However, the queue method
changed around the 1.2 (I think) release, so for current versions
y'all are welcome to leech my updated pause script at
http://www.doublerebel.com/scripts/jquery.pause.js .  There is also
another suggested method at
http://www.learningjquery.com/2007/01/effect-delay-trick
which (ab)uses the animate method as a timer.

It is a very useful tool but I don't think it's ready for the jQuery
core yet, as you can see there are very complicated and very simple
ways to wait/pause the jQuery execution chain -- we'd have to
standardize a method first.

Charles
doublerebel.com