Ok, I have to examine the specifics of my computer set up.  I tried
the following code on two different machines with similar setups
(Windows XP, IE6, Firefox 2.0.0.9 vs. 2.0.0.6, jquery 1.2.1 unpacked).

----------START  Test HTML file---------

<head>
        <title>Test</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="test.js"></script>
</head>

$(document).ready( function() {});

On the first machine, it gave me the "$ is not defined" message.  On
the second machine, it works.  Based on Suni's remarks, I will look at
the first machine more closely.

I appreciate everyone throwing out ideas for me to examine.

--Stephen