Glen Lipka wrote:
One way is with a sprite. (Background or foreground)
http://learningtheworld.eu/2007/foreground-sprites/
Actually I'm using sprites, that's why I'm switching from css :hover to this :)

We've gone beyond the 'normal' approach of combining over/out images into a single sprite, and are combining multiple over/out images into a single sprite. We're using a sprite generator, which takes all the images, creates a sprite, and provide the background-position classes, with classes named the same as the image names, with a prefix.

Because the classes for over/out images are named differently, and now have different class names, the css :hover is not easily applied. Thus, this jQuery approach.

There are lots of methods. The one you have has flicker written all over it. :)
Any way to stop it, with this method?