Hi Alexandre,

By "gzip version," do you mean the packed/obfuscated version? Since gzip is done on the server, it can compress the full jquery, the minified, or the packed.

--Karl

On Jan 25, 2008, at 2:58 AM, Alexandre Plennevaux wrote:

if you gzip compress your file, then you lose a few millisecs for the browser to decompress it.Given your figures, i'd say the 1Kb advantage does not compensate for the browser having to decompress it. besides, i found that the flash plugin does not work properly if u use the gzip version of jquery.

for me, minified is the best.

---------- Original Message ----------
To: jQuery (English) (jquery-en@googlegroups.com)
From: Chalkers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: [jQuery] jQuery 1.2.2 compressed to 14.3KB
Date: 25/1/2008 1:28:40

Hi there,

I gzipped the packed version to 14.3KB
http://www.port80software.com/tools/compresscheck.asp?url=http%3A%2F%2Falpha.chalkley.org%2Fjquery%2Fjquery-1.2.2.pack.js

Whereas the minified one is 15.3KB
http://www.port80software.com/tools/compresscheck.asp?url=http%3A%2F%2Falpha.chalkley.org%2Fjquery%2Fjquery-1.2.2.min.js

(I get the same results using this site
http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php)

Have I missed the point why people should use the minified one and
gzip it rather than gzipping the packed one?

Regards,
Andrew Chalkley
http://chalkley.org
http://atheismisgood.com

Alexandre Plennevaux - LAb[au] asbl.vzw / MediaRuimte
 Lakensestraat/Rue de Laeken 104
 B-1000 Brussel-Bruxelles-Brussels
 Belgie-Belgique-Belgium
Tel:+32(0)2.219.65.55
 Fax:+32(0)2.426.69.86
 Mobile:+32(0)476.23.21.42
 http://www.lab-au.com
 http://www.mediaruimte.be
The
information in this e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not that addressee, please note that any disclosure, distribution or
 copying of this e-mail is prohibited.
Because e-mail can be electronically altered, the integrity of this communication
 cannot be guaranteed.