>The JSON example on the autocomplete
> site doesn't work as it sends the entire
> remote data to the browser instead of
> returning just a limited number of items.

Probably becuase it requires a backend page to provide dynamic results
based on the search query.

Note:

    When the user starts typing, a request
    is send to the specified backend
    ("my_autocomplete_backend.php"),
    with a GET parameter named q that contains
    the current value of the input box and a paremeter
    "limit" with the value specified for the max option.

    A value of "foo" would result in this request url:
    my_autocomplete_backend.php?q=foo&limit=10

    The result must return with one value on each line.
    The result is presented in the order
    the backend sends it.