dineshv schrieb:
Many thanks Shawn and Jorn - the use of the MAX parameter makes sense
now.  Onto, Ajax and JSON.  On the Autocomplete site there is an
example as follows:

EXAMPLE
Autocomplete a text-input with data received via AJAX. For small to
medium sized datasets.

JavaScript:
    $.getJSON("my_backend.php", function(data) {
        $("#input_box").autocomplete(data);
    });

HTML:
    <input id="input_box" />

Is this still valid to use for my requirements with a large number of
string items on the server, a small subset of string items returned to
Autocomplete, and continually going back and forth to the server for
subsets of data? [...]
This should be used in your case:

$("#input_box").autocomplete("my_backend.php");

Jörn