I'm still having trouble with this. All of my code is already written
inside the doc.ready function. The code which needs to be located
outside of the doc.ready function HAS to be able to call code within
the doc.ready body. I'd be GREATLY in debt to anyone who could help me
resolve this issue.

Here's a sample of my code:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
        FDMSLibrary.load("FDMSBridge.swf", initBlazeDSCode);
        function initBlazeDSCode() {
                alert('blaze ready');
                consumer.addEventListener("message", messageHandler);
        }
        function messageHandler(e) {
                alert('got the message');
        }