Hi Scott (and others),

Thanks for all the posts and help ! It actually did make some sense in
the end :).

The success message was based on AJAX success function, so that was
part of the confusion. It was giving me a success message but not
actually doing anything. Changing 'serial.hash' to be 'serial' also
helped - still not 100% clear what the hash is for. And the other
problem was in the PHP. I assumed that 'serial' was being posted with
the #id as the key, however it doesnt. It simply gets posted without a
key. Instead of doing $myarray = $_POST['my_sorted_id_block'];   , it
needs to be $myarray = $_POST;  , and then I cycle through the array
with a foreach().

I've now incorporated this into Zend Framework and works a treat.

Ta for all the help,
Chris. :)