What's "li" meant to be - in that code it's not assigned at all....

If it's meant to be "every list item on the page", then it should be $("li"), and you'll also need to check whether or not the outer "ul" or "ol" for the li is visible.

Liam

Aaron wrote:
well I don't plan using a class I am trying to use an id.  in css I
have stuff declared like #image{css stuff here;}
here is the code I have.

$("#image").hover(
    function(){
        $(li).fadeIn("slow");
    },
    function(){
        $(li).fadeOut("slow");
    },
);

what I want to do is  when the mouse goes over the image I want a
window not a popup window but a window that fades in on the right or
left of the image where it would have a list of other images and if
the mouse goes off the image and is not on that list area then it
would fade out.