Thanks for all the replies.  I appreciate when a support forum is
actually useful.

Believe it or not, I think Victor is right, 1.2.6 definitely doesn't
work with prototype.  In particular something in prototype's
effects.js library is causing jQuery to act up.  This is the test I
performed:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
  <head>
charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>Test Page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/prototype.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/effects.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/builder.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/dragdrop.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/portal.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
jquery/jquery-1.2.6.pack.js"></script>
      jQuery.noConflict();

      jQuery(document).ready(function() {
        alert(jQuery('#tabs td').html());
      });
    </script>
  </head>
    This is a test page.
    Done.

The above page shows an alert with "undefined" on load. If I comment
the effects.js line, the page shows an alert with "This is a table
cell on the test page." as expected.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
  <head>
charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>Test Page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/prototype.js"></script>
<!--
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/effects.js"></script>
 -->
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/builder.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/dragdrop.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
prototype-portal/portal.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="includes/
jquery/jquery-1.2.6.pack.js"></script>
      jQuery.noConflict();

      jQuery(document).ready(function() {
        alert(jQuery('#tabs td').html());
      });
    </script>
  </head>
    This is a test page.
    Done.

It's weird because if I have the alert as
alert(jQuery('#tabs').html()); it works, but others like
alert(jQuery('body').html()); don't.

Again, it is unfortunate that I'm stuck using prototype for now, but
that's the situation.  Any ideas on how to get jQuery to work again?

Thanks,

Kape