We just acquired four new servers from Media Temple, yesterday. We'll
be moving the various sub-domains (docs, plugins, dev, ui) to their
own unique servers this week - this should help with load times
significantly.

But yes, it's mostly due to popularity issues (we're getting the
equivalent of about 4 Digg/Slashdot-ings worth of traffic, per day, at
this point).

--
--John