Yeah, really nicely done...I'll definitely use that if I ever have need for it.

-- Josh

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jack Killpatrick
  To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:52 PM
  Subject: [jQuery] ANNOUNCE: jQuery listnav plugin

  Hi All,

  Today we released our first jQuery plugin, which provides an easy way to add
alphabet-based navigation to any UL or OL list. Here's a link to our
announcement blog entry:

  http://blogs.ihwy.com/dev/post/jQuery-listnav-plugin-version-10-released.aspx

  And below is the info from the blog entry to save you the click. Thanks to
Mike Alsup for his docs about creating jquery plugins, and a shout out to Liam
Byrne, who helped me (via this list) a few months ago with some jQuery for
isolating text inside of list items.

  - Jack

  blogged....

  Today we're releasing a jQuery plugin that we created for the business
directory section of a pet project site of ours,
http://www.hwy9.com/Directory/boulder-creek.aspx. We'd always wanted to have a
javascript-based control that we could easily apply to long lists of items to
allow quickly navigating around the list. Since most lists are alphabetically
sorted, we came up with a plugin that allowed us to have a long list and then,
by binding the list to our jQuery listnav plugin, an alphabet-based navigation
bar would magically appear above the list, showing all of the letters from A to
Z. Clicking on a letter dynamically filters the list, so you can, for example,
click on C and the list changes on-the-fly to show you only items beginning
with C.
  There are lots of neat little features to the control. We've posted full
information and demos here:

  http://www.ihwy.com/labs/jquery-listnav-plugin.aspx .

  A couple of the interesting features worth calling out are 1) that when you
hover over a letter in the list navigation bar, a count appears above the
letter, telling you how many items will appear if you click that letter 2)
letters that don't have any items under them appear looking "disabled", as a
visual clue that there aren't any items starting with that letter (so that the
user doesn't have to find out by clicking the letter).

  One of the demos (demo 4) also shows using the listnav plugin on a list that
has floated items in it. In the demo, each list item looks like a box and they
are arranged left-to-right, row by row. Clicking on a letter shows only the
boxes that have wording that starts with that letter. This could be handy for
making an address-book like layout on a web site: click the letter in the
navigation to see the contacts that start with Y, for example. Each box can
contain anything you want it to: the listnav control pays attention only to the
first letter of the first text in the list item.

  The control has been optimized for speed. It's able to handle binding to
lists with hundreds of items in them very quickly. Any jQuery selector can be
used to bind to your lists, so you can bind it to multiple lists on a single
page using just a CSS class name, if you want to. It works with UL and OL
(numbered) lists. If you use an OL, the numbers restart themselves for each set
of list items that appear (ie, if you click on 'C' and that has 5 items, they
will appear numbered from 1-5).

  We hope you enjoy the jQuery listnav plugin. We enjoyed creating it.