> I know this off topic but I am searching for in the Jquery
> documentation how to hook into the selection changed of a dropdownlist
> to implement my ajax call, if you could point me in the right
> direction I would be much appreciative.

$('#mySelect').change(function() {
    // your code here
});

> Where can I view the api documentation for the Cycle plugin?

All the docs for cycle are at:
http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

There really aren't any API docs.  But there are a lot of demos and
the list of available options can be found at:
http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/options.html

> What do before and after callbacks do? <-- Sorry I am noob with
> JQuery.
> OnBefore would be executed before animation and OnAfter would occur
> after animation. is that correct?

Yes.

Regarding your original question, I enhanced the addSlide function
slightly to better handle prev/next navigation.  I also created a demo
that may more closely mimic what you're trying to achieve:

http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/add6.html

The updated plugin can be found here:
http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/download.html

Cheers.