I'm just discovering jQuery and finding it really interesting.
Usual sort of 'learn by doing' thing.  I've been playing with
the tablesorter plugin, but I've run into a wall.  Particularly
since I'm far from expert in Javascript. :-)

I want to be able to sort a table on a column containing
integrated circuit numbers (such as 7400, LM555, 74LS50
4026, et cetera).  I want the technology (i.e., the 'LS'
in '74LS50') to be ignored for sorting purposes, so 74LS50
and 74H50 would be juxtaposed.  I also want the series
to be grouped together (e.g., 7400 series together,
4000 series together, et cetera).

Unfortunately, this is possibly a little more complex than
it might seem.  Given the following part numbers,

7400
4010
74C10
4026
74257
4012
74LS174
40257

the correct ascending order should be

4010
4012
4026
40257
7400
74C10
74LS174
74257

I'm used to custom sorting callbacks that are given two arguments
and return whether a<b, a==b, or a>b -- but I'm not finding how
to do the equivalent with tablesorter.

Is it even possible?

Thanks!
--