Im afraid that my solution only really applies to my app, Ive just
figured a way to incorporate the lack of functionality of the plugin
to appear as a feature in my app.

My solution adds a new <li> (which shows in the list regardless of
which letter is selected) with some additional information for the
user that the list will need to be refreshed to show changes.

Sorry for the lack of inspiration :)