Worked it out through process of elimination. Looks like the menu is
ducking behind items with position:relative in the css. Not sure why,
and I think bgIframe should display over it regardless of position
rule, but I'll post more as I unravel it all in case someone in the
future has this issue.

(The specific example url above was bugged thanks to position:relative
star hacks in cforms' wide_form.css stylesheet.)