what about a return false; in the js method itself?
$(this).parent().next().next().fadeIn(500);
return false;

hopefully somebody can elaborate, but i'd heard that using the javascript
"pseudo-protocol" isn't really... "proper"?

--
I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my
wife. And I wish you my kind of success.