I think centering is going to be difficult.  You could try setting the list
items to a specific width and then text-align:centering the links.  That
might create some cross-browser issues, though.

Another thought is to set the unordered list to a specific width and then
text-align:centering the list items and/or links.  This might be
less-incompatible, but you won't be able to use borders on the individual
items.

Good luck!