The string does not need to be wrapped in single quotation marks. Also, why does the selector begin with a single quotation mark and end with a double? Are these just typos in the emails?

Try this:

$('span[class*=mycategory]',xml).length

Just one set of single quotation marks, and the closing mark is to the right of the closing bracket.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com