You would need to find whatever quirk it is you are targeting and
create a function or otherwise create a scenario where that quirk is
exposed, and use that to populate some identifier.

eg: jQuery detects support.opacity by creating a <div
style="opacity:0.5"> and then later testing the opacity value or lack
thereof.

I find it cumbersome, actually. My most recent example was
position:fixed. I know only IE6 can't handle this in any way shape or
form, but would have to some dom creation and calculation to find out
if the current browser "supports" position:fixed.

Fortunately, I know IE6 is the only one serving FAIL on
position:fixed, so I just check the UA.