I'm wanting to read in the exact string that's contained in an
anchor's href attribute in order to use it as the POST variable list
for an Ajax call to a PHP script, however in IE6 and 7 the string read
from the href attribute ends up being the absolute path, not just the
href attribute. Here's exactly what's happening:

vars = $("a").attr("href");
alert(vars);

What I get when running locally in all browsers but IE is what is
expected, an alert box with page=2 in it. In IE, I get "http://
localhost/page=2". Is there some way to get it to behave either one
way or the other in all browser instances? I really don't want to have
to detect for IE, then extract what I want from the string if it is.